How To Apply Canada Student Visa If you want to study in Canada for a period of more than 6 months, you are interested in knowing how to apply for a student visa for Canada step by step.
It is a process that can take between 4 and 12 weeks -and for the Province of Quebec an additional 4 weeks-, in which we will accompany and guide you as much as possible, so do not hesitate to contact one of our advisers of study trips abroad.
We are then going to see in detail how is the process of applying for a student visa for Canada.
Requirements + documents to apply for a student visa for Canada
You will need to complete the following procedures and present the following documents:
Fill out and send the online form, at this link.
Present the following documents scanned and organized in PDF or JPG for photos:
– All the internal pages of the valid and old passport/s where there are visas and stamps.
– Digital photo on a white background where it can be seen from the neck up.
– Solvency documents.
– Personal certificates and cover letter.
It is necessary to demonstrate solvency to cover: the value of the course + accommodation and maintenance. So:
All provinces except Quebec:
$833 CAD per month (up to $10,000 CAD per year) + price of the plane ticket ($900 CAD approx.)
If you are traveling with your family, in addition to these amounts, you must prove $4,000 for your spouse and $3,000 CAD for each minor child.
Province of Québec:
If you travel to the province of Quebec, the amount increases to $917 per month (up to $11,000 CAD per year) and if you travel with dependents ($5,100 for the spouse and $3,800 for each minor child)
Keep in mind that if the course in which you are enrolled lasts more than 1 year, you must prove solvency for the first year, according to the amounts explained above.
For this, it will be necessary to present:
– Bank statements for the previous 3 months.
– Letter of balance to date, issued by the bank in English or with an official translation.
– Additional documents that demonstrate your financial solvency according to each case: employee, independent worker, sponsor or independent worker.
Personal certificates and cover letter
It must also be presented:
– Cover letter translated into English, or written directly in English. You must specify in the letter:
Who are you and the reasons for your trip.
Why did you choose that destination and/or institution?
Academic and/or professional benefits that you will obtain thanks to the program.
How are you going to finance yourself and how will you have access to money from Canada.
Reasons for returning to your country and plans.
– Photocopy of the last title obtained or degree certificate and its translation into English.
– Resume in English or its official translation.
– Certificate of studies in English or its official translation.
– Labor certificate if applicable, in English or its official translation.
For those under 18 there are a series of additional documents:
– Notarized letter from the parents authorizing the minor to leave the country.
– Copy of birth certificate.
– Custody form (this has an additional cost of approximately $120 CAD)
– One of your parents or legal guardians must accompany you to the appointment at the VFS.
– Permit to leave the country for minors from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
During the following days of making your application, you will receive an email with the authorization to request an appointment at the VFS (Visa Application Center) to collect biometric data.
After the embassy studies the application, you will receive another email with instructions to send the passport to the VFS by certified mail (at a cost).
To apply for the student visa for Canada, it is essential to have the Letter of Acceptance of the institution in Canada that includes the details of the study program.
Only for students from the Province of Quebec (Montreal): CAQ certificate. The application is made online and can take up to 6 weeks to process. Its cost is $116 CAD and payment is made by credit card online.
Processing Costs Of Applying For A Student Visa For Canada
Visa fee: $150 CAD
Biometrics: $85 CAD
Pay online by credit card.
Benefits Of Having A Student Visa For Canada
It is also important that you know the benefits of applying for a Canadian student visa:
– Work permit: If your course is higher education you will be able to apply for a permit to work in Canada legally. While you are studying, you will have permission to work for 20 hours per week and when you are on vacation for 40 hours per week. Remember that this permission does not apply if you are studying languages.
– You will be able to extend your stay as a student
– If you have family, you will be able to include them in your application as dependents
– Your partner will be able to work legally full time through an Open Work Permit.
– While you study your children will be able to go to school for free
– Work permit for after graduation: In the event that the institution and program you study is eligible for a work permit after graduation or PGWP, you will be able to get a job after you finish your studies and then apply for permanent residence in Canada.
It is important to follow all the steps and at the same time remember that what is stated here is informative and it is essential that each person consult their case in a particular way. For this reason, do not hesitate to contact our study abroad advisers, who will accompany you throughout the process.